Atrader2's Iron Butter Weekly Results and Tracking

Hello Everybody,

I have started this post so I can share my weekly results with you in a spreadsheet format, I will not be posting charts in here we have other threads for that. I will also post in here what a portion of my tracking chart looks like.

The results I will am posting below are all real trades that I did this week, Every time I posted a trade I input the data into my tracking chart then at the end of the week I put it all into a bigger spreadsheet where I can analyze my trading, one thing that is not in the screen shots I will post is the column where you post what went wrong and what you can do better, this is a very important step but it would not fit in my screenshot lol

I also have a study on the weekly summary spreadsheet the tracks how the stops are working for you, are they saving you money? or are they making you get stopped out too many times and actually diluting your profits - This has been a big topic of conversation of late! I will add what I have found this week but it will need to be tested more, however stops seem to be a must! Please see my weekly summary below for 12/14 - 12/19.

Whats nice about this data is you can then break it apart by the actual time frames you are working on and see what is working best, like for example if you are trying the 6pm - 3am time period (which is very good I might add) you can extract just that data and compare it to another time from like the 1:30 - 11pm trade we have been testing.

Just some quick bullet points of this weeks trading I did:

• Total trades 33
  • 22 of the 33 were full IBFS (both wings)
  • 7 One wing trades
  • I set 34 triggers (guess this blows some holes in the theory legging in is not sound)
  • Only 12 of the 33 trades had both sides entered at the same time - WOW interesting!
  • On average out of the 33 trades I sold the upper for $20.4 and bought the lower for $79.5 NOT BAD!
  • Only got stopped out 6 times and out of the 6 only two trades would have won of there was no stops!
  • so the estimated amount saved by the stop outs is $181
  • Estimated lost by the stop outs was $100 so that’s an overall savings of $81 thanks to the stops!!
  • In addition on the stops if I would have stops in place on a couple trades I did not I would have made and additional $150
  • I have $102 in exchange fee’s
  • Total PL over these 5 days after exchange fee’s $339
  • This would have been even better but in a bonehead fashion I forgot to check DM’s Trade plane before entering 2 IBF’s on with no stops and got hosed, but hey a great lesson!!

This is a portion of what my tracking grid looks like.

Should you have any questions please let me know!

Best,
-atrader2

Hello Everybody,

Before I shut down for Christmas I wanted to share my IBF trading results with for the period of 12/21 - 12/24 this really only equates to 2 days of trading as I only got 1 trade in this am as the markets closed very early today.

I was really eager to see if I could actually get any trades on with this incredibly low Implied Volatility, I felt if I could trade IBFS in the storm I would be able to trade them anytime, I don’t think that the implied volatility will be any worse any other time of the year and that has been confirmed by DM!!

I was able to turn a profit of $87 and this is after exchange fees, not bad for only two days of trading and the lowest IV I have seen!

Some bullet points of this data:

• 19 Trades overall
  • 11 were full IBF’s (both wings)
  • I set 25 triggers
  • Only 4 of the 19 trades were entered at the time of analysis
  • On average I entered the upper binary for $19.2 and the lower for $80.6
  • Used stops on all but one trade
  • Got stopped out 7 times and out of the 7 only 3 would have been profitable if there were no stops
  • On average I got stopped out at $52 not bad when your targeting $50 stop out
  • Due to the stop outs I saved $202
  • Due to stops outs and the 3 trades that would have been profitable I lost $170
  • So overall the stops saved me $32 and have proved once again its a wise decision to have the stops in place
  • If I did not use the stops my bottom line for the week would have been nearly cut in half
  • There was $54 in exchange fee’s
  • Total profit after fee’s was $87 for 2 days of trading
  • the $87 profit if divided by 2 is $43.50 very close to DM’s $50 per day and if you factor in last week I made $339 / 5 = $67 per day we are right on course to double our account in one months time maybe even a little quicker and buy using stops our risk is very low, even lower than our profit potential so better than one to one, now if you doing this without stops you are going to have some problems.

Now this week was obviously not an ordinary week and took a little more skill and babysitting to pull off a profit, in addition since the IV was so low I actually had to set up the IBFs well in advance to even get the setups and the I had to move triggers ect. so it took some doing but was a success!! A good thing to remember if you want to do IBFS or premium collection trades in low IV you need to be looking well in advance, like for example the 6pm - 3am trade we do is ussually set up at 6pm but this week I had to set them up at 2:45 in the afternoon and the EURGBP trade which we usually set up at 1:30pm I set up at 7am on the 23rd. In addition I had slightly sacrifice on the pricing i settled for when entering the trades as you can see from the data above.

This was a good test and I feel confident I can trade these in any storm if need be.

My win percentage was only 52% this week that seems pretty crappy but since I used stops I made a profit of $87 in 2 days if that was 10 contracts I would have made $870 for winning ONLY 52% I like those odds!!!

I do feel the very difficult time of season contributed to the low 52% as the week prior I had a win rate of 60% and made $339 after fee’s, I feel once this holiday season is over we should get the win rate in the 70%'s range but still I will take 52% every week and laugh all the way to the bank (IF I USE STOPS OF COURSE)

I hope you all have a great Holiday and if you have any questions please let me know.

Best, -atrader2

I have one question: How important or unimportant is the timing for setting up entries? I ask because as I would love to do these evening/overnight trades I have a scheduling conflict with my job. In short I have the first one or two hours of nadex reopening then I’m not home until around 1 or 2am est. I’ve set up trades with the later times before with some success in both demo and live. Does it make all that big of a difference in general if I don’t have most of that time period to work with?

Btw, I’m glad you included the difference between using vs not using stops. I’ve been debating with myself over whether or not it’s worth the risk to not use them. Seems rather clear to me now.

-Ty

Very Nice Rich! And great explanation/break-down of your trades. Will be very helpful to others wanting to learn IBF’s. Yes, seasonally, this is very low IV time. However, (not being critical, just a heads up), FX pairs have been really nice trading with nice volatility coming from CL selloff, Euro Zone uncertainty (their QE), Far East economic issues and their own QE, and Monetary Policy schizophrenia here in the US. So, there was a little extra IV as compared to historical norms. Congrats! You captured that excess. Now that we are on the same page about what we’re buyin or sellin. I failed to bring up the importance of Historical Volatility. On position sheets at CBOE, every day, had graph of position, IV compared (short-term and longer term) to Historical Volatility. Easy to see mispricing and wait for extremes low or high.

Hey Guy and Girls,

I did 4 additional trades today so I wanted to update the weekly results for this week.

I had another 50% trading day and made a profit of $30 after fee’s to increase the weekly profit to $117 after fee’s, out of the 2 weeks I have been recording the results I have made a profit of $456 after fee’s and have not traded over 60%.

The trades I did today are not trades I would usually take but wanted to see if could find anything on this low IV day after Christmas, I got stopped out on 2 of the 4 trades and only 1 would have been a winner if no stops were in place, so once again the stops saved me money and allowed me to make a profit on a 50% day. I’m pretty confidant that I will be using stops at all times unless I’m closely watching the trades, it just greedy and bad business not to! In addition if stops make me lose a little money here and there I’m not too worried about that the overall long haul is going to be much better if I use them.

See my results below:

Have a good night, atrader2

Hello Everybody,

Well before the New Year comes in I wanted to get my IBF trades for this last week of 2014 out to you guys, the week was low for IV but actually the VIX showed a slight uptick on Monday that produced some very nice setups.

See my results below, I only really got 2 days of trading in but was able to trade at 81% which turned a profit of $308 after exchange fee’s.

The use of stops once again proved to be a positive as they did save me some money!!:cool:

Summary of the data above:

• 16 trades total
  • 81% win rate
  • 9 full IBF’s (Both side)
  • 7 one winger’s
  • 26 triggers set
  • 2 IBF’s with no triggers (both sides entered at the time of analysis)
  • Average price for top binary $20.8
  • Average price for bottom binary $79.6
  • Stops used on all trades
  • The use of stops saved me $40 overall
  • only one of 3 the stopped out trades would have won if no stop was used
  • $50 in exchange fees
  • Profit after the exchange fee’s $308

This is the third week of tracking my IBF trades in this manner, here are some stats for the 3 weeks:

Total P/L after fee’s and trading 1 contract - $764 Average win rate - 64% Amount saved by using stops - $149

This is over a period of the worst possible IV (the holidays) I could be wrong but I expect these numbers can get even better when that illusive IV returns lol with just a small uptick I seen this week I noticed a difference cant wait till it really gets up there!!

As always, if you have any questions please let me know!!

Best,
atrader2

atrader2,

Thanks for sharing this, as your methods and results are clear. Happy New Year!

Impressive! Glad to see you got this to work!

Questions:

1. Where is the training video?
  2. What are your exact settings in the stop trigger, market offset, etc…
  3. Can I join on your yacht for a party after you buy one?

:slight_smile:

Thanks!

Ronin,

Yes, it does seem to be playing out nicely.

Which training video are you looking for?

As for the stops, since I have been placing these trades over a much quieter time in the market and do not expect any great big spikes I have been setting the stops right at the strikes and they have been getting me out pretty close to $50 give or take about $2 - $4 dollars. I would suggest bringing them in a few ticks if your doing them on a more volatile time frame or instrument.

Lol on the Yacht, my plan is to help others get a yacht too!!!

Best, -atrader2

Hey atrader2. Would you mind terribly sharing a chart or two showing how you are picking your options, relation to expected move etc…very interesting stuff, but would like to get a better idea of your set up. Keep an eye out on the other forum thread. I am almost done with spreadsheet of last two months trades on the strangle we have been discussing.

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply atrader2.

I suppose an additional video in addendum to your original video. You seem to have refined your system some since that November video.

If you could expand on your entry methods.

For example you reference “triggers” and “stops”. You also have single wing butterflies? This to me implies that you are entering one side based on your analysis and the beginning of you long time frame to get the proper in the money pricing but then using a trigger to leg in to the other side should the market move in your favor?

I suppose I am foggy how many stop triggers you are using and when?

In your previous video you mention not putting in your stops until 530 AM and letting the news play out and then entering your stops? Doesn’t that kind of defeat the purpose for an overnight trade?

I’m not sure there really is an advantage to paying attention to news since the implied volatility should be accounted for in the options pricing and strike widths.

Are you staggering expirations as well on the same underlying? I am just trying to interpret your data.

I suppose if you could make a video covering your profitable entries and how you decide to take just one side or a full IBF that is what I am looking for.

Thanks man, keep up the great work!

Good Evening,

Thanks for your replies both Chaz and Ronin, I hope this post will cover all that you guys have asked.

Chaz - as far as the charts I can post some for you, however for this most recent week I don’t have a whole lot as my NT7 is draining my whole computer and I did not keep Jing running as its just another draw of Ram and I need all I can get but I have some I can post! In addition I am going to attempt to record a full week of my trading and from Sunday night to Friday, showing everything I do from setting them up, picking the options, placing stops, managing the trade all of it, I feel this would be extremely helpful and answer a lot of your questions, on low IV weeks there is no boiler plate method its takes some skill to tinker with these trades and needs to be seen as it unfold its tough to explain.

Ronin - Yes there has been some refinement but the main change is the time periods Im trading now, the original video was of me doing longer term IBF’s like 20+ hours and I do stand by most of that material as when I do the IBF’s longer term I use deviations and magnets in which i do not use when i do them on shorter time frames like the 6pm - 3am or the 1:30pm - 11pm ect. I will say the success rate has dramatically increased with the use of stops and trading these on certain pairs at very specific times, this is not to say I don’t take some longer term IBF’s but the majority have been on the USDCAD USDCHF GBPUSD EURGBP.

-For example you reference “triggers” and “stops”. You also have single wing butterflies? This to me implies that you are entering one side based on your analysis and the beginning of you long time frame to get the proper in the money pricing but then using a trigger to leg in to the other side should the market move in your favor?

Triggers - I often use triggers on these trades as the pricing I want is not available when Im looking for them or sometimes pricing is good on one side so I enter and set a trigger on the other side or sometimes I set triggers on both sides (These are often the ones that only one wing get entered) just a quick note its not an IBF if you only have one wing, at that point its just an ITM trade till the other side is on, and this is fine as long as you have a stop. On the trigger trades there are rare occasions when neither side triggers that just means you had you strikes too wide and that is ok too, its better to have them too wide versus too narrow, if there to narrow you gonna get stopped out, this is an important point here, when I set triggers I set them rather wide and monitor them and if some time passes I then readjust the ranges and see if its even feasible for price to get that strike triggered if its not, meaning that strike is like way outside the HILO range after you adjust the ranges then look for a new strike inside that one that makes sense price wise and range wise, don’t take anything inside the close to close that’s a suicide mission, best i can say is gonna have to practice this and get a feel for it as far as the management goes but a good rule of thumb is set them a little wider then adjust them if need be don’t set them to narrow and paint yourself into a corner, I think when IV returns the managing will be less bt when the IV is gone and you want to trade these IBFS you need to tinker quite a bit.

Stops-After toying with the not using them to using them just on single leg trades and then using them at all times even in two wing IBF’s I have come to a conclusion and that is USE them all the time, if you don’t you simply will lose in the long run and eventually zero out your account, you may get on a run but this is the market its going to ***** you eventually, don’t get a rock star trader mentality you will get burned, live to trade another day be a little more conservative and laugh all the way to the bank even if you trade at 50%, people who think they can get around using stops are setting themselves up for disaster and I was one of them but I went ahead and tried it all ways and that’s fine, now I know what needs to be done, just go look at my weekly results if it were not for stops I would have severely different results and out of the 3 weeks of data above stops have saved me more money then if I did not have them on. You don’t want to have any losses more then about $29 - $30 maybe $35 MAX if your having losses more than that your going to get behind that’s a fact. You have to look at the IBF setup as a mission and the mission is this, you want to ultimately get both wings on to really reduce that risk with the addition of stops of course, you may only get one on but make sure you keep that risk low with the stops - your work is not really done until you get both sides on with stops, like if I set up 3 IBFS from 6pm - 3am I keep monitoring them until I got to bed around 12am in that time if get all the sides on my job is done I put my stops on and go to bed, now does this happen every night no so the legs that dont trigger before my bedtime I cancel the orders for those triggers as you dont want a 3am exp triggering in at 2:30 while you sleep and you cannot get a stop on, when we get an oco ticket we will be ok on this but for now just cancel the order. So really what you want to be doing from the time you set these up till you go bed is essentially reducing your risk by getting as many 2 wing trades as you can, if you remember my projections at 25/75 with stops your total risk is $0 + exchange fees of course, so you see the power of both sides, however this is not to say I dont take one wing trades, they are still valuable to take but if you lose this trade its a $25 loss with a stop and thats ok because its inside the max$35 loss I mentioned above. If you look at my results last week almost 50% of my trades were one wing so theyare helpul but the end goal is to get that risk really low and get two sides on and this is where the art of this strategy is, you need to practice but if you get both sides on you should feel really good as you risk is so tiny.

Pricing - As far as the pricing goes I have taken trades at $15/$85 but I am willing to sacrafice on the pricing if can get 40 pip wide spread on EURGBP when I know that EURGBP for the past year only moves 4 ticks open to close from 1:30 pm to 11 pm and only 10 ticks hi to lo, thats and ultra safe setup and I would take it every time so there are times bend the 25/75 and to be honest its extremly rare to get it just look at my numbers on my results I have been averaging about $20/$80 over the last 3 weeks.

I suppose I am foggy how many stop triggers you are using and when?

I only use the stop trigger for the stops not the entry triggers, I just a Nadex limit order ticket with a option price trigger not the vindictive price like on the plugin. So the answer is 2 stops triggers on a two wing trade and one on a one wing trade.

In your previous video you mention not putting in your stops until 530 AM and letting the news play out and then entering your stops? Doesn’t that kind of defeat the purpose for an overnight trade?

I think the stops explanation above should have covered this, if not let me know! There is one time I would say to hold off on the stops and that is when I do strangled butterflies around news and thats because I have the strangle in there but this is for another conversation and I have actually written about it here if you would like to learn about it - http://apexinvesting.net/forum/butterflies-218/iron-butterfly-strangle-combination-news-trade-1967.html#.VKXyj_ldW0I

http://apexinvesting.net/forum/butterflies-218/eur-usd-double-strangled-butterfly-eur-usd-news-trade-2110.html#.VKXyz_ldW0I

I’m not sure there really is an advantage to paying attention to news since the implied volatility should be accounted for in the options pricing and strike widths.

Yes, the prices will reflect the IV but never make the mistake of not checking on news first, always be aware!

Are you staggering expiration as well on the same underlying? I am just trying to interpret your data.

No, I always use the same exp for both legs I just get enter them at different times.

I know this is a lot to absorb but Im hopeful it has helped some, pleas send me any additional questions and I will try to get a video together of my week of trading for you guys that should unravel a lot of the mystery I think. A big key I have been learning from DM is the market is not static when it comes to IV its forever changing so you we as the traders need to learn how to one recognize when its changed and two apply the right strategy or alter our methods to be successful, like a good example is and I have written about it in results above, with the low IV over the holiday I had to get into a trade I usually setup at 6pm at 1pm just to find ok pricing so that was an effort to adapt to the low IV.

Well, that’s all for now!!

Look forward to hearing your questions.

Best, -atrader2

Chaz,

Here are a few charts I took screenshots of at the time of setup:

Ideally Chaz if you looking for say a 40 point wide IBF you want there to be 20 pips on each side of the setup at the time of entry its not always to get it perfect but try your best, think balanced!!

I’m curious if this strategy could implemented in spreads that are low risk, Like $5-15 or wide spreads like on the usd/cad or gbp/jyp I know the market would have to move alot father but the risk/reward ratio would be nice. Seems it would do well on a good news spike. Thanks, Robert

Thanks for the charts atrader2!!
I was always looking for IBs outside the hi-lo range, and could never find them. This led me to the OTM strangles we are discussing on other forum. I see your setting strikes inside that but outside close-close. Makes sense, but as you mention, best to know the instrument and its movement. Have you had issues with the stop trigger during a news event, or even if something unforseen happens and the price shoots up.
I had an ITM trade on a few times and had price jump and run right through my trigger. Leaving me with my **** in my hand. This is why I have always been shy about these IBF long terms. Your not always sitting there to react to a trigger that didnt catch. Full disclosure this happened during US session…I see that a lot of your trades are outside that time frame.

[quote=daytrade1]I’m curious if this strategy could implemented in spreads that are low risk, Like $5-15 or wide spreads like on the usd/cad or gbp/jyp I know the market would have to move alot father but the risk/reward ratio would be nice. Seems it would do well on a good news spike. Thanks, Robert[/quote]

atrader2 has another forum post dealing with the trades I think you are talking about… http://apexinvesting.net/forum/strangles-220/long-term-strangles-2553.html#.VKYErSvF_uM “http://apexinvesting.net/forum/strangles-220/long-term-strangles-2553.html#.VKYErSvF_uM”

About to post some stats from 2 months of these trades.

Robert,

You are talking about a straddle and that would not be a good Idea on this, its the direct opposite of what is being done here, but yes on news its ok, however start researching Iron Condors they are for range bound markets and are premium collection like the IBF they just use spreads versus binaries and are variable payout not all or nothing like a binary, if you look at DM’s news plan he does the Iron Condor around news as well!

Yes, Chaz is correct you can do the strangles as well! See the link Chaz has added, he is also a good person to talk to about that as he is testing it pretty extensivly;)

Chaz,

Ideally you want the strikes as close to the edges of the hi to lo but your not going to find to many outside that’s for sure.

No I have not had issues with the stop plugin around news as I really don’t use it when i trade the news as I do strangled butterflies.

I still do trades over that session but lately I have been really drilling down on the shorter time frames and when the volatility is a little lower, I think the big thing to remember is if your using the stops and getting pretty good pricing all you have to do is trade 50% to make profit.

Chaz,

I wanted to put this up as you mentioned news trades, its good to keep this in mind! This may reduce your stop out risk!

If image is hard to read just hit ctrl + sign to enlarge your screen!

Just a quick note on the chart above, if you cannot find the same 120 pip wide setup while setting up closer to the news then just go out to later expiry to find what you are looking for just be sure there are no other news events in between your entry and your expiry.